Building Capacity to Prevent Diabetes and its ComplicationsOpportunity Type: Health Education, Internships, Practicum Opportunities, Public Health
Salary: Not provided
Opening Date: March 05, 2018
Closing Date: May 31, 2018
Contact Email: email@example.com
Building Capacity to Prevent Diabetes and its Complications
Application Deadline: May 31, 2018
Thematic focus: community health, health and human rights, health management, monitoring & evaluation, patient engagement, strategic planning
Qualifications: Experience with community-based public health in underserved communities. An understanding of program planning and evaluation. Experience with grant writing preferred.
Description: The Family Van is exploring opportunities to more effectively help clients prevent diabetes (primary prevention) and its complications (secondary prevention). Currently, we offer BMI screening and glucose testing, along with health education that addresses nutrition, physical activity, and community resources. The student will spend 1-2 weeks on The Family Van to observe and assist with service delivery in order to develop a deep understanding of current services. Using this knowledge, as well as researching evidence-based practices for diabetes prevention, they will develop a pilot project that can be submitted to potential funders.
This practicum will address one or more of the following competencies:
- Assess population needs, assets and capacities that affect communities’ health.
- Apply awareness of cultural values and practices to the design or implementation of public health policies or programs.
- Design a population-based policy, program, project or intervention.
- Explain basic principles and tools of budget and resource management.
- Select methods to evaluate public health programs.
Activities may include:
- Conduct a literature review to identify evidence-based strategies and promising practices for community-based diabetes prevention.
- Assess current services and understand gaps and opportunities for improvement.
- Explore potential partnerships that strategically expand the potential impact of The Family Van.
- Develop a program plan, logic model, and evaluation plan for a pilot project.
Please send CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org RE: summer internship.