Community Outreach EducatorOpportunity Type: Health Education, Jobs
Location: Jackson County, Oregon
Salary: $41,475.20 - $54,579.20 annually
Opening Date: November 23, 2016
Closing Date: October 01, 2018
Contact Email: PhilliTF@jacksoncounty.org
Job Duties and Requirements
I. Position Summary
Under direction, to perform responsible duties in the design, development, coordination and implementation of youth and/or community oriented health education programs, policies and curriculum; to educate local citizens in health related issues; and to provide schools and community and government agencies with information in support of the development and funding of such programs and/or policies.
II. Distinguishing Features
Employees in this classification work within broad policies and procedures in designing and implementing programs. Work requires the ability to apply functional knowledge to address a variety of situations. The employee receives general instructions regarding the scope of and approach to projects or assignments, but procedures and techniques are left to the discretion of the employee.
III. Examples of Essential Position Duties
- Responsible for the coordination, development, implementation and evaluation of health education activities.
- Organize and consult with community agencies, committees, school administrators and groups to coordinate, advise and advance health education programs and/or policies.
- Determine techniques, policies and procedures for the improvement of health education activities.
- Monitors and evaluates program effectiveness in meeting established objectives.
- Consults with community agencies concerning the development of programs and/or policies in compliance with state statues and/or established expectations.
- Designs and conducts classes and meetings related to health issues.
- Coordinates regional education programs.
- Recruits and provides training to schools, agencies and community volunteers in support of education programs and/or policies.
- Establishes short term and long range plans, goals and objectives for assigned programs.
- Prepares a variety of reports, correspondence, records, summaries and grant applications; develops visual aids, outlines, goals, plans, objectives and program evaluations.
- Assists state agencies in the development of local community partnerships to provide funding and program support through health agencies and businesses.
- Increases community awareness of programs through media outreach.
- Orders related program supplies and materials.
- Adheres to County and departmental policies and procedures as well as safe work practices, policies and procedures.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with other staff, public officials, the general public and representatives of other agencies.
- Attends and participates in required trainings.
- Has regular and reliable attendance.
- Overtime may be required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
IV. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Position requires familiarity with methods and techniques of data collection, analysis and research; knowledge of principles and techniques for teaching and facilitating group discussion and learning processes; and knowledge of the objectives, principles, theories and practices of health education and/or health policy work. Ability to interpret and apply state and local policies and procedures related to health education; design and administer curriculum and programs involving chronic disease and pregnancy prevention and immunization or other health related subjects; read and understand regulations and guidelines; set program goals and objectives; research and select educational aids; design and conduct effective health programs; develop effective community partnerships; assist partners in policy development, planning, implementation and evaluation; understand and use mathematics to analyze and prepare charts, records and reports; operate office equipment including a computer and peripheral equipment; safely operate a motor vehicle; understand and carry out oral and written directions; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; interpret and explain department policies and procedures as necessary.
V. Minimum Requirements (Performance of the essential duties of this position includes the following requirements, physical demands and/or working conditions)
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in social sciences, behavioral or health sciences, education or a related field AND two years of related work experience; OR
- Any combination of education and experience which provides the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge, and ability required to perform the job.
Licenses, Certificates and Other
Requires possession of a valid Oregon driver’s license and a good driving record.
Contact information: Tanya Philips, Health Promotion Manager; 541-770-7708; PhilliTF@jacksoncounty.org