Determining the Sustainability of Improvements Post InterventionOpportunity Type: Practicum Opportunities, Public Health
Location: Portland, ME
Opening Date: October 03, 2017
Closing Date: November 06, 2018
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Organization Information
Name of organization: Embrace A Vet/UNE Center for Excellence in Health Innovation
Address of organization: 716 Stevens Ave
Zip code: 04103
Country (if outside the USA):
Type of organization: Non-profit
2. Practicum Information
Position Title: Practicum Intern
Start date: January 3, 2018
End date: April 20, 2018
Compensation (If any): TBD
Description of Practicum Project: Embrace A Vet (EAV), a non-profit organization, was established in 2012 in response to national data reporting that 22 veterans a day commit suicide. Its mission is to provide supportive services to Maine Veterans living with symptoms of PTSD and/or Traumatic Brain Injury and their families. There are three primary programs: Residential Retreats for veterans and caregivers, Caregiver Retreats, a Service Dog Training Program and Caregiver Support Groups.
The student will be working through UNE’s Center for Excellence in Health Innovation, as well as with the EAV Executive Director and the Retreat Program Coordinator. While much of the student’s time will be spent on designing the database and reporting, EAV will offer the student a program orientation and site visit of the three aforementioned programs. The student will have the opportunity to learn data collection and analysis skills under the supervision of the preceptor, with the possibility of additional mentorship by UNE faculty as needed.
1) Develop a qualitative and quantitative database which captures outcomes achieved during a 4 day Residential Wellness Retreat, Pre-Retreat, End of the Retreat, 3, 6 and 8 weeks Post Retreat, 3 months, 4 months and 6 months Post Retreat; total of 9 intervention points.
2) Design trended reports on a given population by intervention date timeline.
Requirements: Data collection/analysis skills or a willingness to learn.
3. Preceptor Contact Information
The student is required to produce the following products:
1. A database which captures outcomes achieved at the 9 intervention points.
2. Trended reports for given populations by intervention date timeline.
- The UNE MPH Program requires a minimum of 120 hours at the practicum site.
- An Affiliation Agreement must be completed between UNE and the practicum site before the student can start counting hours for credit.
- For all questions regarding the practicum, please contact Dr. Titi Balogun, email@example.com