Infant Mortality in Portland, MEOpportunity Type: Practicum Opportunities, Public Health
Location: Portland, ME
Salary: Based on available funds
Opening Date: October 03, 2017
Closing Date: Open ended
1. Organization Information
Name of organization: City of Portland Public Health Division
Address of organization: 389 Congress St
Zip code: 04101
Country (if outside the USA):
Type of organization: City Health Department
2. Practicum Information
Position Title: Infant Mortality Practice Experience
Start date: TBD
End date: TBD
Compensation (If any): Based on available funds
Description of Practicum Project: This is a long term project, the purpose of which is to determine the magnitude of infant mortality in Portland, to identify areas of greatest need by geographical location, to identify resources in Portland to prevent infant mortality, and to propose interventions as needed.
1. Search Maine CDC resources for data on infant mortality in Portland and compare it to state data.
2. Conduct literature review on IMR in Portland, and the state of Maine.
3. Analyze data to determine predictors and correlates of IMR.
4. Geocode IMR data by zip code or census tract.
Requirements: Good research and writing skills. Proficiency with STATA a plus.
3. Preceptor Contact Information
Name: Titi Balogun
Degrees/Certification: MBBS, MPH, DrPH
The student is required to produce at least 2 of the following products:
1. A comprehensive report on IMR in Portland compared to Maine.
2. An evaluation of infant mortality prevention services in Portland.
3. A proposal for interventions based on available information.
- The UNE MPH Program requires a minimum of 120 hours at the practicum site.
- An Affiliation Agreement must be completed between UNE and the practicum site before the student can start counting hours for credit.
- For all questions regarding the practicum, please contact Dr. Titi Balogun, firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-221-4689.