Patient Educator – Mayo Clinic Cancer CenterOpportunity Type: Jobs, Public Health
Location: Rochester, MN
Salary: $1,163.20 bi-weekly
Opening Date: March 22, 2017
Closing Date: October 01, 2019
Position Summary: Mayo Clinic’s Cancer Education Program is dedicated to providing information and resources to support patients during their cancer journey. This position would assist in designing, implementing and educating patients, families, health professionals and the public. The position requires strong communication and interpersonal skills as well as demonstrated organizational and planning skills.
Responsibilities: This individual will plan, implement and evaluate cancer education programs for patients, families, health professionals and the public.
Specific duties include:
- Develops and conducts appropriate assessments to determine the educational needs of varied audiences.
- Reviews and assesses proposed additions to Mayo’s cancer-related educational materials and programs.
- Provides cancer-related educational assistance to patients, families, professionals and visitors in the Cancer Education Center or by health care provider referral.
- Responds to prospective patient inquiries by telephone or mail to provide medically appropriate information on cancer treatment options available at Mayo.
- Participates in the development of cancer-related curriculum for patients, professional staff, and the public.
- Participates in grant writing, research projects, writing for publication, public speaking, program planning and project management.
Additional responsibilities may include:
- Helping with library collection development, virtual learning, program planning and social media.
- Participates in local, state and national professional organizations related to cancer education.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in health education, public health, social work, nursing, or library science required. Masters degree preferred. Extensive background and familiarity with oncology issues and educational interventions is important. Position requires strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively interact with patients, family members, health professionals, co-workers and the public, both over the telephone and in group and individual settings. Requires demonstrated organizational and planning skills and proficiency with computer skills.
Benefit Eligible: Yes
Exemption Status: Exempt
Compensation Detail: Education, experience and tenure may be considered along with internal equity when job offers are extended. The minimum salary every 2 weeks is approximately $1,163.20, based on a part-time position.
Hours/Pay Period: 40
Schedule Details: Position is part-time, 40 hours per pay period. Schedule to be determined based on staffing need.
Weekend Schedule: Rarely
Recruiter: Natalie Brewster
Why Mayo Clinic? Mayo Clinic provides the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of the patient first. We are the largest integrated, not-for-profit medical group practice in the world with approximately 60,000 employees working in a unique environment that brings together the best in patient care, groundbreaking research and innovative medical education. We offer a highly competitive compensation package, which includes exceptional benefits, and have been recognized by FORTUNE magazine as one of the top 100 “Best Companies to Work For”.
Site Description: Mayo Clinic is located in the heart of downtown Rochester, Minnesota, a vibrant, friendly city that provides a highly livable environment for more than 34,000 Mayo staff and students. The city is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the United States because of its affordable cost of living, healthy lifestyle, excellent school systems and exceptionally high quality of life.
Mayo Clinic is an equal opportunity educator and employer (including veterans and persons with disabilities).