The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Building on the strong belief and mission of implementation science and in collaboration with UGHE leadership, the Under-five Mortality Research Project aims to develop an implementation science-based approach to understanding how and why countries have dropped under-five mortality.
The Project and Research Coordinator for this research project will provide high-level administrative and research support to the project’s Principal Investigator. Research related responsibilities will include reviewing and synthesizing a comprehensive literature and evidence review; providing additional research on evidence-based interventions, country experiences and implementation science frameworks; assisting in tool development for in-country and other key informant interviews; and supporting the writing of case studies and other synthesis and dissemination work. Other responsibilities include as-needed programmatic support, organizing and facilitating project meetings, organizing logistics for in-country work, and coordination across sites to ensure the smooth functioning of the project. This is a temporary, 6-month to 9-month position.
- Synthesize existing evidence review and provide input into needed additional work
- Conduct additional robust literature and evidence reviews as needed
- Assist in the development of the initial framework for data collection and interpretation for the project
- Assist in the development of data collection tools for in-person or phone interviews
- Conduct qualitative research in-country, including Rwanda
- Support analysis of qualitative data (documents and interviews)
- Coordinate and manage scheduling with multiple stakeholders and country sites
- Provide logistical support for in-country meetings
- Attend and provide support at meetings and engagements when appropriate, including, keeping minutes and producing reports as required
- Provide general writing, speech-writing, scientific editing, and presentation preparation support to Principal Investigator
- Master’s or advanced degree in the health sciences, public health, or related experience
- Experience in research
- Experience working within an international environment with an international organization, NGO, and/or public sector preferred
- Demonstrable work experience in an administrative, executive assistant, or personal assistant role in a rapidly changing environment preferred
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize projects with extraordinary attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with professionals at all levels in diverse settings
- Must be flexible, reliable, responsive, and resourceful
- Possess advanced diplomatic instincts with the ability to gracefully and humbly work within challenging professional contexts requiring tact, judgment, and discretion
- Willingness to travel in-country frequently and at short notice, and to work irregular hours
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to think ahead and anticipate needs before they arise
- Fluency in spoken and written English required
To apply: https://www.pih.org/pages/employment