Integrated Public Health Practicum – GPH 747
The Integrated Public Health Practicum is a 4-credit course in which students must complete:
- At least 120 hours of public health field work
- One 15-20 page capstone paper with a 45-minute oral presentation.
Both requirements include paper submissions and discussion board assignments on Blackboard. Therefore, students should be prepared to take time off from work when/if necessary.
Planning Your Practicum
The following steps may be helpful in your planning process. If you require assistance throughout this process, please contact your Practicum Coordinator.
Before you get to the end of your MPH coursework, start thinking about where or what type of practical experience to complete. The following questions may be helpful in identifying a practicum project:
1. What skills would I like to develop/enhance? (e.g. quantitative skills, communication and facilitation skills)
2. What strengths or expertise would I bring to the organization?
3. What type of setting would I like to explore? (e.g. state department, small community -based organization, domestic, international)
4. How much flexibility would I need to complete a project? (consider whether your schedule and availability are compatible with those of the organization)
During the practicum, students are expected to work in the field alongside other public health professionals. The practicum is also an opportunity to build important professional networks.
A minimum of 120 hours at the practicum sites is required.
Once you have a list of potential sites, start making initial contacts early. It is often useful to request an informational interview in order to learn more about the organization and identify potential projects.
Contact your Practicum Coordinator to discuss potential sites and preceptors.
Have your site establish A Memorandum of Understanding or an Affiliation Agreement between their organization and UNE. If any modifications are needed, have them make edits using “track changes” in Microsoft Word. If the site prefers to use their own Affiliation Agreement template, they can contact the Practicum Coordinator via email. (Please note that this process can take up to two to three months to complete.)
If applicable, work with your site and Practicum Coordinator to initiate an IRB review for Human Subjects Research.
Beginning your Practicum:
All coursework must be completed prior to beginning the practicum. A student who wishes to begin the practicum prior to completion of all coursework must submit a petition. An approved petition is required to start the practicum hours. To register for the course all students must complete the following:
1. An affiliation agreement between UNE and your practicum site. Please begin this as soon as you’ve identified a site as this process can take up to 3 months to complete.
2. Practicum Site and Preceptor Information Form
3. Practicum Goals, Objectives and Competencies Form
4. An IRB review for human subjects research, if applicable.
5. Capstone Paper Summary
Electronic forms are also available. Contact your practicum coordinator for DocuSign forms.
Capstone Paper Proposal:
Submit a (<1 page, ˜300 word) proposal with:
1. A brief background on the public health issue of interest
2. A brief analysis of current programs and interventions, if any
3. The research question(s) of your capstone paper
The capstone paper should be related to your fieldwork. Many practicum projects require students to develop a questionnaire, or evaluate a program, or analyze some data – but no reports. Others require reports. If your site requires a written report, you will be writing two (2) separate reports, one for the practicum and your capstone paper. The focus of the capstone paper is not large numbers and data analysis, but rather your ability to critically analyze the information, and communicate it effectively. The final paper should be appropriate to submit for publication or to present at a public health conference.
Once the forms are approved, and you have received a clearance email from the Registrar, you can register for the course – GPH 747 via Uonline.
As additional helpful resources for you, we have recorded the following webinars:
*Please remember to log into your UNE Gmail account in order to view these recordings
Please carefully read the Practicum Manual before beginning your planning process.
Frequently Asked Questions
For commonly asked questions about the practicum, please visit http://success.une.edu/public-health/practicum/faqs/. Additional details can be found in the Practicum Manual.
Previous Practicum Sites
View the following List of Previous Practicum Sites. Please note that this is not a comprehensive list and we cannot guarantee that the sites on this list are currently taking students. This list should only be used as an example of potential sites and projects.
**Learn more about the Applied Practice Experience (GPH 743) as an alternative option for completing your required Public Health Practice Experience**
Information for Preceptors
Learn more information about the Practicum or Applied Learning Experience.